Stranded Fishermen Rescued at Sea express Gratitude to God

(Image representation)

Five fishermen, who were rescued after their boat sank on Saturday, have expressed gratitude to God for saving them. Water started entering their boat, Crystal Eve, a 55-foot trawler, with a 350 hp engine, when it was near Granada's marine border.

Newsday identified the men on board as Jerome Nicome, 63, Kirwan, 59; Kyle Dyer, 31; Azim Baksh, 35; and Keston Frederick, 36.

Although the men tried to send distress calls before the boat sank, the signal was not strong enough. The fishermen had to dive into the water as they had their life jackets on. Two hours later, they were rescued by The Siem Spearfish, a Bahamian vessel.

One of the fishermen, Nicome, told Newsday, "Thank God, all the honour and glory and praise. Anybody who is hearing me now, trust Christ. I am telling you because He is the one that saved us. God allowed us to drift into the vessel that saved us. Nobody was seeing us out there.

"The waters were rough, real rough. If it wasn't for God, we wouldn't be alive today."

Meanwhile, Curtis Douglas, president of All Tobago Fisherfolk Association (ATFA), also spoke about the incident. He explained that the distress calls from the Crystal Eve were hard to comprehend.

Douglas said, "We couldn't get the exact information because our radio wasn't picking up too clear. This was after midnight to 1 o'clock (Sunday morning)."

Also, Allan Stewart, the director of Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) admitted that the agency was notified by the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard concerning the incident.

Stewart said, "They would have requested of us if we could make available a pirogue to assist in the transfer of personnel from the Bahamian vessel because of the large hull they were unable to come into the Port of Scarborough."

He added that the fishermen were rescued after The Siem Spearfish released one of their lifeboats at around 2 am and they were brought alongside the port.

Although one of the fishermen, Frederick, suffered from hypothermia, the others did not need to be taken to the hospital after the incident.

0/Post a Comment/Comments

Previous Post Next Post